• Visually clean (no oil, litter, sewage etc.) water and land (exceptions beting made for freak weather conditions) (i).
• No untreated sewage from boats and/or land entering the marina or its coastal vicinities (i).
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND INFORMATION
• Environmental information supplied to marina users, including details of any sensitive areas to be avoided when sailing, or mooring; unless such information is deemed to endanger site or pecimens (i).
• Code of environmental conduct (g).
• A resource person available to be contacted on environmental and Blue Flag issues (i).
• The Blue Flag Marina criteria, as well as any additional national requirements to be posted in an accessible site, close to the Blue Flag (g).
• Good integration with the national and built environment (g).
• Public transport between marina and closest urban settlement, if the two are more than two kilometers apart (g).
• Accessible and well sign posted shore waste oil reception facilities, incl. mobile oil reception facilities (i).
• Encourage bilge water pumping facilities (g).
• Separate waste containers for the disposal of hazardous chemicals and materials (e.g. paints, solvents, boat scrapings, antifouling agents, flares) (i).
• Adequate and well managed garbage containers (i).
SAFETY AND SERVICES
• Adequate, clean and well sign-posted sanitary facilities, including washing facilities and drinking water (i).
• Sufficient power points and public lighting. All electric installations must comply with national legislation (g).
• Adequate life saving and emergency equipment (i).
• Adequate first aid, lifebuoy, fire fighting equipment and safety precausions (i).
ABOUT THE CRITERIA
The award of a Blue Flag marina is based on compliance with 16 criteria covering the aspects:
1) Water Quality
2) Environmental Education and Information
3) Environmental Management
4) Safety and Services
Some criteria are imperative (i) whereas others are guideline (g). All imperative requirements have to be fulfilled, and in addition a maximum number of guideline criteria.
All Blue Flags are only awarded for one season at a time. If some of the imperative criteria are not fulfilled during the season or the conditions change, the Blue Flag will be withdrawn.
NEW MARINA CRITERIA
The marina criteria have been revised and new criteria will take effect in 2004.